While it’s certainly not a bad idea to have a pool at home, it’s still a highly dangerous object even for the adults, and of course for your kids. We recommend you going through these guidelines for pool safety and get to know the modern gadgets that prevent drowning in order to be informed and ready for everything that could happen in the pool.
The main rules for the kids are pretty simple and obvious: no swimming without adults, no running near water and of course no diving in the deep end. But we’d like to point out some other rules that often go unnoticed but still are very important and might save a life if executed properly.
- It’s always important to judge your child’s skills right. The first step regarding pool safety should be made even before getting into the pool. Swim classes are highly recommended if you don’t have enough time to help your child on your own, even if your pool is not that deep. The kids are also learning much about safety there, do consider this option.
- You should always be around supervising the kids. Never ever leave them alone, something bad might happen even in the shortest period of time. If you should leave, always designate another adult to be a poolside watcher. It might also be a grown child with good swimming skills. Touch supervising might also be a good idea when you have to work with little kids or those who can’t swim.
- Another tip is not jumping in to save a drowning kid: you might be surprised (in a bad way) by how strong can a human being be in a critical situation, often a victim can drag the rescuer down with them. Instead use a floatation device to help the person who’s drowning.
Talking about devices that prevent drowning, there are some really modern ones. We’ll talk about some of them right now.
- Swim monitors. It’s a wearable devices that protects a child in the pool and alerts a water watcher with a signal if a kid is submerged for too long. There’s also an option of starting an alert when the device just touches the water, if a kid must stay away from it. The design with LED lamps is pretty attractive for children, so it won’t be a real problem to convince them using it.
- Anti drowning bracelets are devices with an inflatable airbag which doesn’t let your kid drown and keeps them afloat until someone comes to rescue. Since it’s a simple wristband that just fits on an arm, it won’t create any discomfort for the children while still being able to save a life.
- But the main device that helps prevent drowning is not really a modern one — it’s a simple fence. You might want to look up the rules for a pool fence and follow them, and if you do so, you’ll be absolutely fine. The main reason for having a fence around your pool is key the kids off water when you or another adult is around.
Hopefully this article helped you understand the rules of having a pool in your household better. Help your kids understand them too and you’ll be able to enjoy the swimming at any time!